The Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) is a national level entrance test conducted every year by IIT Madras for admission to its Integrated M.A. programs in Development Studies, Economics, and English Studies. HSEE is a highly competitive exam, and attracts candidates from all over India.
To be eligible for HSEE 2024, candidates must have passed the Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examinations held by the Association of Indian Universities or Boards of Education. Candidates who have completed a two-year course in the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence academy are also eligible to apply.
HSEE 2024 will be a computer-based online exam of three hours duration. The exam will consist of two parts:
- Part I: General Aptitude (100 marks)
- Verbal Aptitude
- Numerical Aptitude
- Part II: Subject Specific Aptitude (100 marks)
- Development Studies
- English Studies
The syllabus for HSEE 2024 is available on the official website of IIT Madras. The syllabus for Part I: General Aptitude covers a wide range of topics, including English grammar, vocabulary, comprehension, arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data interpretation. The syllabus for Part II: Subject Specific Aptitude covers the undergraduate curricula of the respective subjects.
Here are some tips for preparing for HSEE 2024:
- Start your preparation early and give yourself enough time to cover the entire syllabus.
- Solve previous year question papers to get an idea of the exam pattern and the types of questions that are asked.
- Take mock tests to practice your time management and exam skills.
- Focus on your weak areas and try to improve them.
- Revise regularly and stay calm and confident on the day of the exam.
The following are the important dates for HSEE 2024:
- Online application start date: August 30, 2023
- Online application end date: October 12, 2023
- Exam date: February 11, 2024
- Result declaration date: March 15, 2024
HSEE is a prestigious exam that opens the door to some of the best humanities and social sciences programs in India. If you are planning to take HSEE 2024, start your preparation early and give yourself enough time to cover the entire syllabus. Follow the preparation tips above and stay calm and confident on the day of the exam.
The following table shows the number of candidates who applied for and appeared for HSEE in the last three years:
|Number of applicants
|Number of appeared candidates
The following table shows the average cutoff marks for admission to the various Integrated M.A. programs at IIT Madras in the last three years:
Please note that the cutoff marks may vary from year to year, depending on the number of applicants and the difficulty level of the exam.